This impressive collection of silverware was presented to two members of the Grace family, both of whom had served the R&A in the capacity of Secretary. Six generations of the Grace family held office at the Club between 1781 and 1967.
The silver kettle was presented by the members to Charles S. Grace (Honorary Secretary 1812-1837) during his last Spring Meeting dinner in 1837. The inscription on the kettle explains that it was given:
“…in testimony of the regard and esteem in which he is held by them, and as a mark of their gratitude for the zealous and conscientious manner in which he has discharged the duties of Secretary.”
The other pieces of silverware were presented to Stuart Grace by members of the Club at the 1886 Autumn Meeting to mark his retirement as Honorary Secretary. The inscription on the large silver bowl acknowledges the “…valuable services gratuitously rendered by him as Honorary Secretary of The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews for forty-three years.”