Continuing a tradition dating back to King William IV in 1834, The Queen is Patron of The Royal and Ancient Golf Club. Her acceptance of the role was announced to the General Committee on 12 December 1952. The portrait was commissioned by the Club in 1972 and unveiled three years later. When the Queen visited on 1 July 1982, she was able to see it ‘in situ’. She wears the Order of the Thistle robes. This is one of three official portraits of her by Sir Leonard Boden, another of which is on display in Stirling Castle.