When the Clubhouse was built in 1854, it was a single storey building, which was to undergo gradual expansion from 1866. The Grand Room and adjacent balcony, which sit above the Big Room, were built in 1899 as part of a number of alterations that were commissioned from architect James Gillespie.
Originally used as a card room, it did not become the Secretary’s office until 1956. From 1925 the Secretary’s office was in the north-east corner of the building, on the ground floor, in what is now the Billiards Room. It was felt at the time that this location would “be a convenience to the many members who have to interview the secretary”. As was the case then, the current Secretary’s office is also used for committee meetings.