The large cabinet displays trophies and medals associated with the Spring and Autumn meetings. The crossed silver clubs with silver balls in the centre and the other silver club on the far right of the cabinet relate to the Club’s origins in 1754, when an annual challenge took place over the links of St Andrews. The winner was announced Captain for the year and he was obliged to attach a silver ball to the club to mark his year in office. The position of Captain later became elective; however, the incoming Captain to this day strikes a single ball from the 1st tee of the Old Course in a symbolic gesture of winning the silver club and still attaches a silver ball. Royal Captains, of which there have been six, attach a gold ball.
Over time, more medals were competed for and the Spring and Autumn medal competitions became popular fixtures in the Club’s calendar. With the introduction of women members, new medals were struck for competition. These include The Queen Elizabeth II Medal, which is awarded to the competitor with the lowest scratch score in the Autumn Medal; the medal and its design was approved by Her Majesty The Queen, Patron of the R&A. Another is The Princess Royal Medal, which is for the lowest scratch score in the Spring Medal. This medal and its design was approved by Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal, who became an Honorary Member of the Club in 2015.